We get it, it's challenging times being bound within the confines of 4 walls trying to self stimulate and find activities to pass the hours, days & weeks with. ** Insert trusty Kindle. In between downward facing dogs, meditations, baking, eating, sleeping and netflix, I have found myself smashing through books on my kindle like the world depends on it. I have been going from crying over love stories during World War II to visualising living my best life on the streets of NYC to being questioning the western society & life that Michelle Obama has lived & things she has seen.... My Kindle has me on a rollercoaster I can assure you of that!
3 titles down in just 3 weeks, who knew I was such a bookworm? Not I, that's for sure but there ain't nothing like a global lock down to find out. In case you are in a similar predicament, here are 10 awesome (Mostly Fiction) books that I have read over the past 6 months that I wanted to share with you guys & help curb some of that lockdown boredom.
1) BECOMING by Michelle Obama. This book is an honest and open memoir of Michelle's time as the first lady of the United States. A raw & real discussion of her triumphs, pains, learnings and experiences throughout her 8 years in the White House... She's an incredible lady and her book does not disappoint.
2) RED NOTICE by Bill Browder.This book is an absolute must read for anyone interested in... well... the way in which our world exists, and how much we don't know, hear or see. A true story of an investment banker who tries to dabble in the financial game in Russia. I doubt you will learn more about the world in a single book than you do in RED NOTICE. Absolute must read!
3) OPERATION PLAYBOY by Kathryn Bonella.The connecting book for Kathryn's other well-known Non-Fiction books discussing the drug cartels that travel the globe between South America, Indonesia & Europe. I have read 4 of her other books on this particular Subject (Snowing in Bali, Hotel Kerobokan & Schapelle Corby's Biography) but it was this book that made it all come together for me. Fascinating to learn about a world that we, again, know and hear nothing about in mainstream media.
4) EVERYTHING I NEVER TOLD YOU by Celeste Ng. I couldn't put this book down. A 'Fiction' book based on real-life events, highlighting and discussing the disparity and racial divide that exists between people of colour in America. Beautifully written and heart-wrenching to read, I went straight on to read another book by Celeste Ng called LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE.
5) IN MY SHOES by Tamara Mellon.This is a great read on the infamous brand 'Jimmy Choo' and where and how it all started. An honest telling of the brand story & development by founder Tamara Mellon and the trials and tribulations she went through to the point where she no longer has anything to do with her global brand. For anyone interested in business, this is a great read!
6) THE ALMOST WIFE by Jade Beer. If you're looking for something a little lighter on the brain, The Almost Wife is a great easy read about three different girls and their journey to becoming married. Each Chapter jumps between the three girls and their lives, connected through their lovely tailor who is making al three of their dresses. Set in London, it's a lovely quick read, perfect for afternoons in the sunshine, tea in hand!
7) SHANTARAM by Gregory David Roberts. You've all heard of it, an Australian Bank Robber who escaped from a Melbourne prison and fled to India. It's no small book but now is the perfect time to get stuck into it. I absolutely could not put this book down once I got into it... and digested the length of which I was going to be reading it for! The first half is full time, non-stop intense adventure and stimulation overload. It made me even more excited to visit India than I had been before reading it, although for very different reasons. The second half is slower but still a great read and adventure into one mans incredible global adventure.
8) STILL ME by Jojo Moyes.Escape to NYC and head off on a little love adventure with this beautifully written and easy to read novel from Jojo Moyes. I got so invested in the scenes she set that I would be dreaming about New York City every night! Another lovely book to sit under the tree & read in the sunshine.
9) THE TUSCAN CHILD by Rhys Bowen.A beautiful love story from World War II about an English fighter pilot who has to parachute from his burning plane and lands in the 'unknown' territory of Tuscany in Italy. Beautifully written, it really made me think how incredibly lucky we are to be living at a time like now (Corona Virus aside... of course!)
10) LETTERS TO MY CHILDREN by Russell Bittner. Exactly what the title suggests, an honest and touching read of letters that the Author wrote to his children over 24 years. All the things he tried to say, couldn't say and wanted to say. It's an emotional, heart breaking, raw & real dialogue. An easy read but definitely evokes emotions!
I would LOVE to hear what you are reading and any recommendations that you have for me because, well, I am currently flying through any recommendation that my Kindle throws me right now! Leave a comment below, flick me an email over hereor DM us on instagram. Happy Isolating friends & stay sane! x
Comments will be approved before showing up.
As a small brand like Luna & Rose, we know how important it is to support each other and empower other businesses we love, trust and believe in! Today, we want to show you our favourite Black Owned Fashion Sustainable Brands, a way for you to discover new resources, while taking care of our planet.
As we’re doing our best to keep ourselves educated and updated on the Black Lives Matter movement, one of our favourite ways to do so is to listen to podcasts. We’ve been loving learning from teachers, historians, and just regular people experiencing racism and issues we don’t even know about.
As we’re launchingour new Signet Rings, why not take the time to learn more about this timeless piece of jewellery?
First and foremost, signet rings represent a wide range of personalized ring, usually representing family symbols, signs, monograms and more. They were used to represent someone’s identity and they were traditionally used to sign into melted wax. How amazing is that?! A unique representation of someone’s signature right on their finger. In that sense, signet rings were extremely meaningful.
Luna & Rose necklaces come in a variety of lengths from 18" to 23". Our 18" chain necklace is made from our Fine Chain with the 20" and 23" length chains in our 'Everyday' Chain. These are the same chain design, just slightly heavier in weight for the longer lengths. For a rough guide (as we all have different, amazing bodies) the 23" chain sits around or just above your nipple line...
We're big fans of layering necklaces and I'm pretty sure you are too. All of our chains are adjustable in length by 2" to make sure you can style your layers to perfection and mix them up with other pieces in your jewellery wardrobe.
Although all necklaces are adjustable, for the perfect layered look we suggest that you purchase your necklaces on different length chains. This way you get to see the beauty of both pendants and there's less chance of scratching! We also personally like wearing the smallest pendant on the shorter length and the larger heavier pendants longer. That's just our personal choice though, we're all awesome & individual humans and ultimately you get to decide how you style your pieces!
Below is a little guide of some of our favourite pieces layered and their lengths:
|SALLY T-SHIRT MEASUREMENTS||SMALL (Size 6-10)||MEDIUM (Size 10-14||LARGE (Size 14-16)|
|CLASSIC T-SHIRT MEASUREMENTS||SMALL (Size 6-10)||MEDIUM (Size 10-14||LARGE (Size 14-16)|
It is important to note that different countries have different sizing methods.
Most of the world goes by number sizing which is the easiest and most accurate.
Because we sell our jewellery all over the world, we have decided to stick with number sizing and have put together the below chart to help you out. The most common size for ladies is a size 7 and size 10 for man. If you are unsure of your size you can measure the inner diameter of one of your own rings and refer to the below measurements.
Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further issues.
Please also note that if you are ordering a wide band ring, its usually a good idea to go up a size.
Size 4 = Ring Size H 1/2. Inner Diameter measures 14.9mm (Recommended Pinky Size)
Size 5 = Ring Size J 1/2. Diameter measures 15.7mm (Recommended Pinky Size)
Size 6 = Ring Sizes L, M, Inner Diameter measures 16.5mm
Size 7 = Ring Sizes N, O, Inner Diameter measures 17.3mm
Size 8 = Ring Sizes P, Q, Inner Diameter measures 18.1mm
Size 9 = Ring Sizes R, S, Inner Diameter measures 18.9mm (Recommended Male Size)
Size 10 = Ring Sizes T 1/2. Inner Diameter measures 19.8mm (Recommended Male Size)
Size 11 = Ring Sizes V 1/2. Inner Diameter measures 20.6mm (Recommended Male Size)
Size 12 = Ring Sizes X 1/2. Inner Diameter measures 21.3mm (Recommended large Male Size)
If you require a ring in a different size in any of the designs offered, please send us an email here and we will see what our clever silversmiths can do for you.
Luna & Rose chain bracelets also have a 2" adjustable chain length with a clasp. Therefore they have two/three size options for you. They sit at a total circumference of approx 16cm & 17.5cm
If you require any other sizes for any of our items, please just let us know and we will see what we can whip up for you! You can contact us here.